Friday, March 30, 2012

One meal muffin

It's 10 pm. The toys have been cleaned up, I've finished my second round of vacuuming up the kitchen, the washing machine and the dryer are endlessly spinning around and around and LoLo is peacefully sleeping in bed. The last compulsory task of the day that remains is making lunch for school for the next day. A boiled egg and a sandwich is always a hit with LoLo and so I get the turkey and cream cheese out of the fridge and realize that I forgot to buy bread at the store.
What now? I'll make savory muffins for them and stuff as many veggies as possible .. came the idea to me. I pulled up a few blogs, mixed and matched the ingredients on screen and on the fridge (I never seem to have everything that any recipe calls for) and the results were so delicious I just have to share it here ...



Recipe
1 cup of all purpose white flour
1 cup of whole wheat (I use organic whenever I can)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup low-fat milk
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large egg
1 cup of Trader Joe's broccoli slaw
6-7 sundried tomato slices chopped
6-7 finely chopped leaves of fresh basil (don't substitute for dried basil)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F
2. Mix all ingredients together in the order from top to bottom
3. Fill cupcake pan with liners or grease and fill evenly with dough
4. Bake about 18 minutes on the top rack until the top of the muffins feel firm and a skewer inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
5. Enjoy and freeze if you'd like


P.S. I Lo(LO)Ve baking muffins - it's my ultimate one dirty mixing bowl recipe with hardly any clean up afterwards. If that's not an incentive to making muffins I don't know what is :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment